Why can I not send and receive emails?
You can, and It’ll only take 5 minutes.
Due to spam abuse, we block SMTP (TCP port 25) connections by default. This means that while you are connected to UltraVpn, your email services such as Outlook, Thunderbird, and Mac mail won't be able to send outgoing mail by SMTP.
Whilst we acknowledge it can be frustrating to our customers, if left, it would cause widespread disruption to our service and even the blacklisting of our servers. You will find that most VPN providers also block port 25.
Do not worry, you can still send and receive emails whilst connected to UltraVpn and it’s extremely simple. Most, if not all email applications will allow you to use a different port than 25. You can simply change your SMTP server settings to use port 465 or 587 and you’ll be able to send and receive emails again. It’ll only take 5 minutes.
Here's how to change the port number for the most popular email clients:
NOTE: This how-to assumes you're using POP/SMTP for email. It does not apply if you're using Microsoft Exchange for email.
1. Open Tools > Account Settings
2. Select your Email account from the list. Click Change
3. Click More Settings
4. Check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box
5. Make sure that Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected
6. Click the Advanced tab
7. Change the Outgoing Server field number from 25 to 465 or 587
8. Click OK
10. Click Next until you reach the Finish button. Click Finish.
1. Open Tools > Accounts
2. Click the Mail tab
3. Select your email account from the list. Click the Properties button
4. Make sure the Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing box is checked
5. Click the Servers tab. Locate the Settings button below Outgoing Mail Server. Click it
6. Locate the SMTP Port field (it should say 25). Change the 25 to either 465 or 587
7. Make sure the My SMTP server requires authentication box is checked
8. Click OK. Click OK again until you've closed all windows
9. Restart Outlook Express.
1. Go to Tools > Account Settings
2. Select Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left pane of the Account Settings window
3. Change the number in the Port field to 465 or 587
4. Click OK
5. Click OK again to close the Account Settings window.
1. Open Preferences in the Mail menu
2. Click the Accounts tab to locate your account. Open it
3. Open the Outgoing Mail Server window
4. Change the number in the Port field to 465 or 587
5. Set the Encryption Method to TLS
6. Check the Use Authentication box
7. Click Continue
8. Click Continue again. Close any remaining windows.
iOS Mail App
1. Tap the Settings icon
2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
3. On accounts, choose the account you wish to change the port for
4. Tap account
5. Tap SMTP under outgoing mail server
6. Tap your primary server
7. On the bottom, tap server port
8. Change the port from 25 to 465 or 587
9. Tap done